The club was formed in 1936 at a meeting in the Thorndyke Hotel on Alderney Drive and used an annex of the old molasses factory on Lower Canal Street. Naturally, at the time, all that was available was natural ice so curling in Dartmouth really depended on the weather. There was some curling on the Dartmouth lakes during this period and the club minutes noted the members had spent considerable time one night cleaning the lake ice only to return in the morning to find the commercial ice cutters had supplied it to the city's ice boxes.
This may have helped the members realize they needed their own building. The first meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Dartmouth Curling Club was held at the home of P.H. Creighton on the 18th of May 1944.This was an organizational meeting of the trustees who were appointed at the semi annual meeting of the club in April, 1944 by the following resolution: "E.C. Morash moved and G.W. Wilson seconded the motion that the present building and sites committee be appointed as trustees: R.M. Barteaux, P.H. Creighton, C. Scrymgeour and J.J. LeMoine. These trustees constructed the Club under the supervision of a contractor named Bill Martin at its present location on lands purchased from Starr Manufacturing for $3000. Of interest is the Woodlawn Dairy, situated next door, supplied the necessary freezing brine to create the artificial ice through underground piping as the club at the time did not have its own refrigerating system.